Home > News > Never Too Late to Know >

Big setback for Musk as SpaceX rocket explodes on launch pad during testing

Big setback for Musk as SpaceX rocket explodes on launch pad during testing
Issue Time:2016-09-06

Elon Musk’s bid to transform the business of space launch suffered a severe setback yesterday when a SpaceX pilotless Falcon 9 rocket and a satellite were destroyed in an explosion on a launch pad in Florida.

 

The incident at Cape Canaveral marked the second time in little more than a year that SpaceX has lost one of its rockets. The company’s equipment is far cheaper to operate than those of United Launch Alliance, its main rival for prestigious US government business.

 

The explosion followed the mid-flight break-up on June 28 last year of a cargo flight bound for the International Space Station. Mr Musk, founder of SpaceX and Tesla, the electric car company, said after that incident that SpaceX had become “complacent” about safety and pledged to learn from the incident.

 

The Amos-6 satellite destroyed in the latest explosion was due to be used in Facebook’s effort to offer broadband internet in areas of Africa currently not well served. SES, operator of the satellite network that the Amos-6 was due to join, announced the deal with the social network in April. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s founder, said that he was “deeply disappointed” by the loss.

 

The rocket was not due to be launched before tomorrow but had been undergoing a test firing, according to SpaceX. Multiple social media users reported a loud explosion just after 9am local time and posted pictures of smoke billowing from the devastated launch pad.

 

SpaceX said that during preparations for a test firing there had been an “anomaly” on the launch pad resulting in the loss of the vehicle and the Israeli Amos-6 satellite that it had been due to launch for a commercial customer. “Per standard procedure, the pad was clear and there were no injuries,” the company added.

 

SpaceX was forced to halt launches for six months after the previous failure . A similar delay now would call into question SpaceX’s plans to hold the inaugural launch this year of its Falcon Heavy, a three-booster rocket that would allow the company to launch far heavier satellites.